Monday, February 20, 2017

Back in 2016, WaPo Had a Correct Headline

This slipped through somehow...
Washington’s ‘governing elite’ think Americans are morons

Bachner and Ginsberg don’t dispute that many voters are ignorant. In their view, however, D.C. insiders are needlessly disdainful of the regular Americans they are supposed to be helping and that this breeds distrust on both sides. Perhaps that’s one reason, they say, that American faith in government is at a 50-year low.

“Ordinary folk might not know a lot, but that’s not an excuse to ignore them,” Ginsberg said in a recent phone interview.

He continued, “My doctor knows more than I do about medicine. My accountant knows more that me about tax law. But all these folks feel a fiduciary responsibility to accept my opinions so they can provide me with the best service. They don’t say, ‘You’re an idiot, just shut up.’
Just ask yourself, "What sort of person actually wants to work in the government, anyway?" There's probably psychological data on that subject, somewhere. However, I'm not inclined to look for it.

No comments: